Cesca inspired Chair Design

Playing around with the Grasshopper grid beam generator, I designed a Cesca inspired grid beam chair.

Not sure if the design will work yet. still need to make it in real life. Tried to get as many tri-joints as I could for strength. And I think the leverage created on the legs will work as long as the timber is strong enough. Going to try it with pine, and if that proves to be to weak, will try something like white oak.

will update as, I make more progress on it.

Have made a prototype.

need to get some more hardware to do the 3 beam connections at the front legs.

I am skeptical that is going to work, but am determined to see. Once I get the bolts I’ll update.

Yeah, I’m also curious if that’d work. If it doesn’t, at least you’ve still got the beams.

Yea exactly, I’ve already got a back up plan to add another set of legs about halfway back, so it’s much stronger, but still keeps a little bit of the look.

Ok, so still haven’t bought the longer hardware to test if it’s strong enough without the supports, but I thought might as well ad some supports and see how that goes.

I added the supports on the inside of the lever arms, so they are less noticeable, and I made the length 11 grid units, one less that the front legs, so that they are less noticeable from the top of the chair.

These are not tri-joints, but don’t need to be because the front legs have try joints at the top and the bottom.

This has worked out pretty well, I’ve added the 3gu bolts where the legs meet the seat, but have decided to keep the extra supports.

Here’s the final parts list:

Grid Beams:

13x 10gu Grid Beams (400mm)

2x 11gu Grid Beams (440mm)

2x 12gu Grid Beams (480mm)

Grid Panels:

none

Grid Hardware:

28 x 2gu nut/bolt pairs (12mm nut/75mm bolt)

2 x 3gu nut/bolt pairs (35mm nut/100mm bolt)